[sane-devel] RasPi support for Epson Perfection V500 Photo

Jonathan Kunkee jonathan.kunkee at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 19:18:17 BST 2018

Hi,

I'd like to set my Raspberry Pi 2 as a scanning workstation with my Epson
Perfection V500 Photo. This is listed as unsupported by SANE and Epson has
long-since deprecated Linux support for it.

That doesn't really deter me, but I have gotten stuck and could use some
pointers. :)

I found this blog post describing doing almost exactly what I want to:

http://www.johndstech.com/2016/linux/raspberry-pi/geek-friday-setting-up-epson-scanning-on-raspberry-pi/

TL;DR: The company that wrote the Linux driver has released the source for
the driver and about half of the UI and it's not too hard to compile the
driver for new architectures. (It's a USB scanner and, from what I can
tell, the driver works through libUSB.)

Source can be found here:
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/searchModule
using search terms Perfection v500 .

That article and a little research has scanimage loading my locally
compiled libepkowa. sane-find-scanner sees it:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0130 [EPSON Scanner])
at libusb:001:010

I've tweaked epson*.conf as the article suggests and even added my own
epkowa.conf, but scanimage -L it doesn't recognize my scanner. I was
wondering about the installation paths, so I ran scanimage under strace and
tweaked that a bit, so it now loads libepkowa.so.

Still:
$ sudo scanimage -L
No scanners were identified. [...]

I did notice that NEWS file only mentions sane-backends-1.0.22 while my
Pi's libsane version is 1.0.25 (assuming those numbers are comparable). The
main source file only mentions sane-backends-1.0.15. Version mismatches can
get ugly, so I'm wondering about that.

Changing the log_info calls in the driver to DBG produces segfaults. I'm
not sure how to get better debugging messages out of it.

Any hints on what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Jon