[sane-devel] XSANE fails to detect any scanner.

Jörn-Ingo Weigert jiweigert at gmail.com
Tue May 8 00:08:40 BST 2018

Aveek Basu <aveek.basu at lexmark.com> schrieb am Mo., 7. Mai 2018, 14:08:

> Hi Olaf \ Suzuki \ Jörn,
>
> Thanks for all your response. Below are our observations with respect to
> Ubuntu 16.04(x64), 16.10(x64), 17.10(x86) & 17.10(x64). Also mentioned
> are the workarounds which make things working:

Hello Aveek,
either creating a softlink, or manually copying the related lexmark-scanner
libraries into the system-specific sane folder would do the trick, yes.
However, the best way would be, if your install script would be kicked out
and you use the package scripts for pre- and post installation as
favourites and forced by Debian based system using .deb-packaging
management (dpkg / apt).

Doing this by a manually created install.sh is really a bad idea, if it is
not constantly maintained.

If you are forced by management to use your install-script, then I would
recommend, that you update it with a function to find out the correct
lib-path to install your driver. An example to do this are listed on the
website I send before.

Regarding to libusb-0.1:
Afaik Sane has changed from libusb to libusb-1.x in Sane 1.0.27.
Giving the workaround to parallel install the old version may help but
could produce side effects which are not wanted.

> What I understand from your earlier notes, there has been some changes in
> the way how Debian based distributions arrange their libraries to add "multiarch"
> support. So does this simply mean we need to handle it out from our scan
> driver?

In the way to update your install script or use the regular install scripts
as update your dependencies for libusb to use the actual version, yes.

Regards,
> Aveek

Kind regards,
Jörn-Ingo Weigert