[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF416dw & Ubuntu 18.04

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Wed Apr 3 16:04:38 BST 2019

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 05:58:03PM +0100, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Please start test scanning via USB.
>
> If I remember correctly, you need to set your scanner into remote
> scanning mode. Please read your scanner's manual for details.

I am not finding anything about a "remote scanning mode", and I can scan
from Windows over the network.

With the USB cable connected:

joliver at blinky:~$ !1275
SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=10 scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 10.
[pixma] pixma is compiled with pthread support.
[pixma] pixma version 0.22.0
[pixma] pixma_collect_devices() found Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series at
libusb:002:004
[pixma] Scanner model found: Name MF410(Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series)
matches MF410 Series
[pixma] pixma_collect_devices() found Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series at
mfnp://192.168.0.20:8610/timeout=1000
[pixma] pixma_find_scanners() found 2 devices
device `pixma:MF410_192.168.0.20' is a CANON Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series
multi-function peripheral
device `pixma:04A927C0' is a CANON Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series
multi-function peripheral
joliver at blinky:~$ !1273
sudo sane-find-scanner
[sudo] password for joliver:

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Language Error], product=0x27c0
[Language Error]) at libusb:002:004
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
  # can't be detected by this program.
joliver at blinky:~$ scanimage >test.pnm
[bjnp] bjnp_recv_header: ERROR - could not read response header (select
timed out after 1000 ms)!
[bjnp] sanei_bjnp_write_bulk: ERROR - Could not read response to
command!
scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O

With 'net' commented out in dll.conf:

joliver at blinky:~$ scanimage >test.pnm
scanimage: sane_read: Device busy