[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF416dw & Ubuntu 18.04

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Apr 6 08:14:49 BST 2019

Hi John,

John Oliver writes:

> On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 05:58:03PM +0100, Rolf Bensch wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Please start test scanning via USB.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, you need to set your scanner into remote
>> scanning mode. Please read your scanner's manual for details.
>
> I am not finding anything about a "remote scanning mode", and I can scan
> from Windows over the network.
>
> With the USB cable connected:
>
> joliver at blinky:~$ !1275
> SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=10 scanimage -L
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 10.
> [pixma] pixma is compiled with pthread support.
> [pixma] pixma version 0.22.0
> [pixma] pixma_collect_devices() found Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series at
> libusb:002:004
> [pixma] Scanner model found: Name MF410(Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series)
> matches MF410 Series
> [pixma] pixma_collect_devices() found Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series at
> mfnp://192.168.0.20:8610/timeout=1000
> [pixma] pixma_find_scanners() found 2 devices
> device `pixma:MF410_192.168.0.20' is a CANON Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series
> multi-function peripheral
> device `pixma:04A927C0' is a CANON Canon i-SENSYS MF410 Series
> multi-function peripheral

Looks like you also have it connected to the network.  Or is that
scanner at 192.168.0.20 a physically different device?

> joliver at blinky:~$ !1273
> sudo sane-find-scanner
> [sudo] password for joliver:
>
>   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
> sure that
>   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Language Error], product=0x27c0
> [Language Error]) at libusb:002:004
>   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> supported by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
> ports
>   # can't be detected by this program.

Please note that sane-find-scanner does *not* find networked devices.

> joliver at blinky:~$ scanimage >test.pnm
> [bjnp] bjnp_recv_header: ERROR - could not read response header (select
> timed out after 1000 ms)!
> [bjnp] sanei_bjnp_write_bulk: ERROR - Could not read response to
> command!
> scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O

Looks like scanimage decided to use the networked device and encountered
a read timeout in the backend.  You can increase the timeout in
/etc/sane.d/pixma.conf, see sane-pixma(5).

> With 'net' commented out in dll.conf:

I'd comment out *all* backends you don't need, not just the net backend.
I have run into trouble with the epson2 backend's network scanner
auto-detection in the past ...

> joliver at blinky:~$ scanimage >test.pnm
> scanimage: sane_read: Device busy

Hope this helps,