[sane-devel] SANE Help & Contact

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Jul 20 06:32:41 BST 2019

Hi Michael,

I'm the SANE Project's (self-appointed) Janitor.

Mcgrath, Michael D writes:

> Good Day,
> Bernard provided me your contact information for my request.
>
> I am a Xerox Project Manager who is looking for a contact or method in
> which to add multiple Xerox Devices into SANE. I would like to apply
> our product portfolio for major accounts to have the ability to scan
> to our devices via Linux. Xerox does not support Linux scanning
> directly. Can someone provide me contact details and the process in
> which to engage the SANE Team?

You've already found the mailing list, good.  For manufacturers we have
a [dedicated web page][1] with information (somewhat dated, though) and
there is also a general page with info on [contributing][2].

 [1]: http://sane-project.org/manufacturers.html
 [2]: http://sane-project.org/contrib.html

You may be pleased to know that the SANE Backends already include
[support for a number of Xerox devices][3] via several backends.

 - `avision`, unmaintained :-(
 - `genesys`, maintained by Povilas Kanapickas
 - `xerox_mfp`, maintained by Alex Belkin

 [3]: http://sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html#Z-XEROX

I've Cc:d both maintainers.  Depending on which of the two maintained
backends is closest to the devices' protocols you want to add, I suggest
you contact it's maintainer.  Cc:ing the mailing list is appreciated, so
we all stay in the loop.

All our code, merge requests and issues are available from

  https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends

You can clone the project, work on the changes you want to make, push
them to GitLab and create a merge request to get them integrated.

> Thanks,

You're welcome.

Hope this helps,