[sane-devel] Supported Scanners Updates

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 22:33:45 GMT 2019

Hi,
I know that some people have mentioned that the Supported Scanners page is
a bit out-of-date but I have a suggestion for it.

As we have seen in the genesys backend, bit rot has played its part in
breaking support for some models. This is inevitable whenever we do work on
a backend and can't test all supported hardware: no blame here, it is just
an unavoidable fact of life.

I'm doing a bit of work in trying to acquire some scanner models so that we
can do some regression testing and fix what issues are found. As example,
the Supported Scanners page shows the ScanJet 3670 as fully working, but
that's not true as of right now.

Perhaps it would make sense to add another column to indicate when a
scanner was last officially tested (and on which backend version) and had a
positive outcome, or otherwise. Currently, we only report the minimum
supported backend version, with nothing additional added after that.

What do people think?

Cheers,
Ralph