[sane-devel] Problem with Sane over network

Luca Bertoncello lucabert at lucabert.de
Sun Apr 12 21:00:36 BST 2020

Am 12.04.2020 um 21:19 schrieb Luca Bertoncello:

> So the problem _MUST_ be by scanbd/scanbm...
> Has someone an idea how to configure them in order to use the buttons
> _AND_ have access to the scanner from network?

GOT IT!!!!!

So, I found the problem...
For someone other having the same issue:

the problem is, that scanbm.socket did NOT work exactly as saned.socket...
After <bigint> experiments/checks/exacrations I found that scanbm on
Debian Buster is configured to use daemon:scanner as user.
saned is configured to use saned:saned as user environment...

So, first of all, must disabled saned.socket:

systemctl disable saned.socket ; systemctl stop saned.socket

Then, systemctl edit --full scanbm at .service to change these settings:

[Unit]
Description=Scanner Service
Requires=scanbm.socket

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/scanbm -c /etc/scanbd/scanbd.conf
User=saned
Group=saned
StandardInput=socket
Environment=SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/scanbd

by the way I changed scanbm.socket, too and set MaxConnections=64
instead of MaxConnections=1, to reproduce exactly the configuration of
saned.

After a systemctl daemon-reload and restart of scandb/scanbm, I can use
the buttons of the scanner and the scanner itself from my PC (in another
network).

Regards
Luca Bertoncello
(lucabert at lucabert.de)