[sane-devel] Xerox PE220 scanner not detected

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Aug 2 04:32:45 BST 2020

Hi Graham,

Graham writes:

> I have not been able to use my scanner with Linux for some years now (it
> works find with windows). I am currently using Linux Mint 19.
>
> All connections are good, printer is powered and operates normally
> (except scan).
>
> sane-find-scanner
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x0924 [Xerox], product=0x420f [Xerox
> WorkCentre PE220 Series]) at libusb:001:004

This scanner is not in our list of supported devices.

> scanimage -L
> No scanners were identified.
>
> edited file
> /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf
>
> added
> #Xerox MFP
> usb 0x0924 0x420f
>
> I suspect it may be a permissions issue but I am unable to resolve.

If it is a permission issue, running your commands via `sudo` or as
`root` would work around that.

> Any ideas please.

Have you checked the xerox_mfp backend's issues?

  https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=all&label_name[]=backend%2Fxerox_mfp

I see at least two other Xerox WorkCentres that don't seem to work (or
aren't supported).

Hope this helps,