[sane-devel] Replaced my Canon MF240 with a MF260

John Rodriguez johrodri at optonline.net
Wed Aug 5 21:49:14 BST 2020

Hi,

I just purchased a Canon imageClass MF264dw Multifunction Laser Printer
with scanner.  Printing works but scanning does not. I am using the
printer / scanner over my local area wifi, my OS is Linux (Debian
Bullseye).

scanimage -L reports "No scanners were identified..."

The relevant sane-find-scanner output is:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0a5c [Broadcom Corp], product=0x21e8
[BCM20702A0]) at libusb:002:004
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

The content of the _scanner._tcp service entry in mDNS/DNS-SD suggests
that the proper protocols are supported:

Service data for service 'Canon MF260' of type '_scanner._tcp' in domain
'local' on 3.0:
     Host Canon58871c.local (10.0.1.2), port 8610, TXT data:
['scannerAvailable=1', 'MDL=MF260 Series', 'MFG=Canon',
'UUID=9c32ce58871c', 'ty=Canon MF260 Series',
'adminurl=http://Canon58871c.local/airprint.html', 'note=', 'txtvers=1']

Looking at the man page for "Backend: pixma (0.27.0)" that is currently
on the SANE website, the model is listed under the section " The
following  models  may use the same Pixma protocol as those listed above..."

However, I am not running the latest backend.  Running apt-cache policy
sane-utils yields:

sane-utils:
   Installed: 1.0.27-3.2+b1
   Candidate: 1.0.27-3.2+b1
   Version table:
  *** 1.0.27-3.2+b1 500
         500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

You can also see that I'm running Debian Bullseye (testing) and that my
version is the latest available in the repo. However my local man page
is dated 20 May 2017 and my model is not mentioned.

On the SANE website (http://sane-project.org/sane-backends.html#S-CANON)
I see
  i-SENSYS MF260 Series     USB Ethernet WiFi     0x04a9/0x27f4 Untested
     Testers needed! Duplex only for MF269.

Is there a way that I can enable the model in my current backend?
Alternatively, is there a way to install a newer backend without
breaking my system or installing from source code.  I previously had a
MF240 and that worked fine.  This new model(MF260) seems almost
identical physically.  I bet the MF240 driver (pixma) will work with it.

Any help getting the scanner to work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.