[sane-devel] Replaced my Canon MF240 with a MF260

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Wed Aug 5 22:33:47 BST 2020

On 8/5/20 11:49 PM, John Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just purchased a Canon imageClass MF264dw Multifunction Laser Printer
> with scanner.  Printing works but scanning does not. I am using the
> printer / scanner over my local area wifi, my OS is Linux (Debian
> Bullseye).

This device supports AirPrint scanning (known also as eSCL), but
probably it needs to be enabled on a device web console:

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3281-zz-SS-enUS/contents/SS260_mobile_0182.html#0706_h3_01

If you have successfully enabled eSCL, at least one of the following
commands will find your device:

$ avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
$ avahi-browse -rt _uscans._tcp

After that, you have many options.

First of all, fresh enough installation of SANE comes with sane-escl
driver. If your installation is not fresh enough, somebody here will
tell you, how to upgrade.

Or you can install alternative eSCL/WSD driver, it doesn't require SANE
upgrade and usually works out of box:

https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan - project page
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/pzz/ - binary packages
for many distros.

If you prefer your device to be connected via USB, you'll still be able
to use any of eSCL drivers, mentioned above, but you will have to
install one of the following additional packages:

ippusbxd - most likely, comes with your distro
ipp-usb - https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ipp-usb

ipp-usb works MUCH better, but not available for very old distros, like
Ubuntu 16.x or Debian 9.x. For binary packages, use download link,
mentioned above for sane-airscan.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)