[sane-devel] your-firmwarefile.bin

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 05:57:57 BST 2020

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:31 AM Jono <bitrat at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> My scanner is:
>
> ______________________________
> $ lsusb
> .
> Bus 003 Device 013: ID 04b8:0121 Seiko Epson Corp. GT-F500/GT-F550 [Perfection 2480/2580 PHOTO]
> ==================================

First of all: it does seem wrong that SANE tries to use the snapscan
backend (see sane-snapscan(5) man page) with your scanner. Since it is
reported as a Epson scanner it should be using one of the epson
backends
(sane-epson(5) or sane-epson2(5) for the man pages).
Unfortunately, your scanner is also listed as not supported here:
http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

Try 'scanimage -L' to get SANE to check for scanners it recognizes.
see the man page scanimage(1) for more: 'man scanimage'.

> Where is the firmware file for my scanner?  Does SANE upload and overwrite the scanner's current firmware?  It should currently work on Windows, so I don't want to brick it.

Some scanners need to have their firmware uploaded every time they are
powered on.
The firmware is not distributed by SANE for obvious reasons. If you
have such a scanner, you will have to find and extract the firmware
file from the (Windows) driver / install yourself. (I had a SnapScan
scanner once, there was a SnapScan_XXX.bin file in a directory of the
windows install; this was the firmware so I just copied it and
configured SANE to use it)

Hope this helps a bit.
--
Regards,