[sane-devel] Image of scanned ,document is split in two

Torbjörn Stabo torbjorn at stabo.se
Thu Aug 13 21:52:18 BST 2020

Hi.

I asked about this in #sane and was told to go here.

I am using xsane 0.999 in kubuntu 20.04. When I try to load settings for
my scanner using that GUI the scanner is called CanonPIXMAMP490.

$ scanimage --version
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.29; backend version 1.0.29

Now, the problem is that even though I put *one* paper in the scanner
the result image that is shown in xsane contains *two* papers! The
papers are next to eachother in the image, kind of "occupying half the
width" each. They're not perfect(it was quite visible when I scanned a
photo with persons in it), each paper is half as wide as it should be.
If I scale the image and double its width things look much better. It's
like the two papers should be "interlaced" with eachother to create the
correct scan image.

Not sure if I can draw this in ascii:

Result image:

-----------------------
| --------- --------- |
| | Half  || Half  | |
| | width | | width | |
| | paper | | paper | |
| |       | |       | |
| --------- --------- |
-----------------------

Scaled version of result image, doubled width:

-----------------------
| ------------------- |
| | Full            | |
| | width           ||
| | paper           | |

Does anyone here know what is causing this? And how to get rid of that
"interlace effect"? Of course scaling the image is a satisfactory
workaround for me, though I'm not sure the result is pixel perfect.

Thanks in advance.

/Regards, Torbjörn Stabo