[sane-devel] [janitorial] Feature freeze for 1.0.29 and call for translation updates

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 17:44:32 GMT 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 12:43 AM Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org>
wrote:

> > I will see if my daughter (a fluent French speaker) will have a look at
> the
> > French. No promises: she is a busy working student. However she does owe
> me
> > in the favour department :)
>
> I see you claimed #214 for that (assuming you proxy for your daughter).
> BTW, she speaks French French, right?  Not Canadian French (or heaven
> forbid, Quebecois).

We do live in Canada but my daughter has learned her French in France, so
"Parisian French" I guess.
I have told her that if she is not sure about anything to leave it.
Even partial contributions are helpful.

> > I have a Japanese/Chinese speaking dev colleague at work. I will approach
> > them as well.
>
> I speak Japanese myself (and have been doing scanner driver development
> for/at a Japanese company for 15 years) but don't trust myself to update
> the translations.  I might be able to review though.
>
> The guy I have in mind is Chinese but worked at a software company in
Japan for a number of years.
I will ask him anyway.

> > I also work with a Mexican chap. I wonder if he would be able to help
> with
> > the Spanish.
>
> During the scanner driver development referred to above, my experience
> has been that we had both es.po and es_MX.po and they differed, just
> like pt.po and pt_BR.po differed, a fair bit at times.  Even simple

Perhaps I will leave it then.
An es_MX would be cool but it would be better to get a translation that has
some chance of being maintained.

Cheers,
Ralph