[sane-devel] Canon i-sensys MF720C Series is not supported by sane-pixma backend

Petr Cibulka Petr.Cibulka at ITSMexpert.PRO
Tue Mar 10 21:48:01 GMT 2020

Dear developers,

I have a Canon i-sensys MF724Cdw multifunction device, which is
recognized by |sane-find-scanner| as:

*|USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon,Inc.], product=0x27b5 [MF720C
Series]) at libusb:001:005|*

Unfortunately, it is not recognized and supported by SANE.

I have investigated in the supported device list and found the most of
Canon devices is supported by the |sane-pixma| backend, namely i-SENSYS
MF730 Series (0x04a9/0x27e4) has status Good (as Ethernet and WiFi have
not been tested yet).

Neither i-SENSYS MF720C Series nor i-sensys MF724Cdw (0x04a9/0x27b5) is
mentioned in the compatibility table, so that no backend supports them
at the moment.

What is necessary to do to support these model?

I guess it should be supported by |sane-pixma| backend as well, perhaps
only its ID is missing in the backend code.

I have tried to find some contact details to |sane-pixma| backend
authors - no success (lot of broken links or pages updated ten years ago).

I am not sure if |sane-pixma| backend is maintained in general.

I can contribute with testing if necessary.

Thanks for any info and/or contact,

Petr