[sane-devel] Canon ImageCLASS MF743cdw

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Wed Mar 18 18:17:52 GMT 2020

On 3/18/20 8:53 PM, Brian Potkin wrote:

> The lack of an output for _uscan._tcp indicates to me that the device
> does not support the escl protocol. This means that, unfortunately,
> sane-airscan is not available for you to to use. I will, of course, defer
> to more expert opinion than mine.

No, the hope is not yet lost. Please, try the following utility:

https://github.com/alexpevzner/airscan-discover

It's not packaged, so you will need to build it by yourself. But this is
actually very simple.

If this tool can find a device, the upcoming generation of sane-airscan
will support it in the WSD mode.

> The _ipp._tcp output indicates the device supports AirPrint. It would
> seem that the generalisation that *all* AirPrint devices also support
> the escl protocol needs revising.

Even not all devices claiming AirScan support actually support eSCL.
Seems that AirScan is marketing word rather that technical. It means
that device is supported by Apple gadgets out of box. Technically it may
either mean eSCL support, or just a fact that Apple gadgets come with
appropriate drivers preinstalled.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)