[sane-devel] Canon imageClass MF4770n

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Fri Mar 20 12:14:33 GMT 2020

Hi,

I don't look through Canon's marketing policy how they name their
devices. It's not such easy as it looks like: EU = 5, US = 7.

E.g.: For Canon imageClass MF4700 Series I found these models:
MF4720, MF4730, MF4750, MF4770 and MF4780 (1x Asia, 3x Europe, 1x US).

For other models Canon is also playing with the suffixes:
e.g. amongst others i-SENSYS MF210 Series provides these scanners:
MF211, MF213w, MF215, MF217w. Some Asian, Europe and US.

Some time ago I asked me the question, how to identify all available
scanner family members all over the world. I stopped this after
searching a small amount of scanners on Canon's international websites.
It's a real torture.

I decided to follow Canon's policy for their scanner drivers, to use the
family names, e.g. Canon imageClass MF4700 Series.

Adding some explanation in pixma scanners section header
(http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-cvs.html#S-PIXMA) could
help, what 'Series' stands for. Or using a 'x' could also help, e.g.
'Canon imageClass MF47x0', without 'Series' and suffixes but with an
explanation in the section header.

What do you think about this?

Cheers,
Rolf