[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1250/Photo 64-bit

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 17:03:16 BST 2020

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 7:51 AM Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 08/09/2020 23:01, Ralph Little wrote:
> > Hi Charles,
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 2:12 PM Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
> > <mailto:chl at clerew.man.ac.uk>> wrote:
> >
> >     I refer you to the thread starting at
> >
> https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/sane-devel/2013-February/030905.html
>
> > https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/merge_requests/33
> >
> > ...and is reported to have fixed the issue. Version 1.0.27 is a very old
> version
> > of SANE.
> > Perhaps you could update your version to 1.0.31 of SANE by adding the
> new PPA:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/~sane-project/+archive/ubuntu/sane-release
>
> I went there and it said:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sane-project/sane-release
> sudo apt-get update
>
> What it Didn't say (and it took me several hours to find out) is that you
> then
> have to say
>
> sudo apt-get install libsane=1.0.31
>
> after which it seems to have worked (well, I have scanned the same
> document 6
> times without problem). Now to get the gamma correction sorted out - but
> that
> can wait till tomorrow.

Ah yes. The other option would be:

sudo apt-get upgrade

...if you already had SANE installed, which should automatically pick up
the more up-to-date version.
Usually on here, we would add that little gem if we were giving
instructions to someone.
The PPA site text is canned wording from launchpad and I guess that they
assume that users would know what to do next.

Glad to hear that you now have success! Good luck!

Cheers,
Ralph