[sane-devel] Epson All In One XP4100 - scanner problem

Tony Morton tonymorton.net1 at virginmedia.com
Sat Jul 3 11:44:49 BST 2021

Dear Sir or Madam,

Can you offer some advice please. My new Epson XP4100 printer / scanner
works for printing, but not for scanning, XSANE detects the device but
on any scan command it reports "Failed to Start Scanner: Error during
device I/O"

I have followed all instructions on this help page;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial?action=show&redirect=sane.d+tutorial

And after making all the recommended changes, when I run 'sudo saned
service status' I get

● saned.service
    Loaded: masked (/dev/null; bad)
    Active: inactive (dead)

Even then, the Sane scan program starts but gives the I/O error.

I have installed drivers for my Ubuntu 18.04 OS from the Epson website,
and also a file to detect the Epson scanner, which is detected, but it
will not connect.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony Morton