[sane-devel] Epson All In One XP4100 - scanner problem

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 15:52:04 BST 2021

Hi,

On 2021-07-03 3:44 a.m., Tony Morton via sane-devel wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> Can you offer some advice please. My new Epson XP4100 printer /
> scanner works for printing, but not for scanning, XSANE detects the
> device but on any scan command it reports "Failed to Start Scanner:
> Error during device I/O"
>
> I have followed all instructions on this help page;
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial?action=show&redirect=sane.d+tutorial
>
> And after making all the recommended changes, when I run 'sudo saned
> service status' I get
>
> ● saned.service
>    Loaded: masked (/dev/null; bad)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>
> Even then, the Sane scan program starts but gives the I/O error.
>
> I have installed drivers for my Ubuntu 18.04 OS from the Epson
> website, and also a file to detect the Epson scanner, which is
> detected, but it will not connect.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tony Morton

I see that you are trying to use saned. Saned is only used to network
machines that only have local, direction connection options such as USB.
It sounds like you are trying to access the scanner locally so it would
make sense to get the machine working locally first.

Perhaps you could confirm exactly what your setup is and what you are
trying to achieve first, what you have connect to what etc and then we
can take it from there.

Cheers,
Ralph