[sane-devel] IRC

Zdenek Dohnal zdohnal at redhat.com
Fri Jun 18 05:35:17 BST 2021

Hi all,

the proposition was made by me - personally I don't use IRC for
contacting/communicating with SANE community, however I found out there
is an IRC way mentioned in docs/sane.man file and it points users to
freenode.

More info about what happened to freenode and why community moved to
Libera.chat here[1] .

Then I checked whether there is a chat room in Libera.chat, found out it
exists and some people are connected to it, so I proposed it in the
merge request [2] .

However I'm not against removing the IRC paragraph in sane.man as whole
if community marks it as unneeded, but I found it as a more invasive
change and there can be people who actually use IRC for SANE, so I
didn't go for that type of change.

[1]
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/freenode-irc-has-been-taken-over-by-the-crown-prince-of-korea/

[2] https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/merge_requests/637