[sane-devel] Epson Perfection1640: Operation not supported

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Tue Oct 5 14:38:43 BST 2021

On Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 03:26:22PM +0200, Wolfram Sang wrote:

> > I tried this but I still have xsane Version: 0.999-12 so there was no
> > change. I couldn't find a newer version of xsane, even in Ubuntu.
> > Indeed in the Ubuntu pool that I checked, the xsane directory was empty.
>
> You need a newer version of libsane than debian testing. Probably
> packages "libsane-common" and friends. The xsane version can stay the
> same. But a quick look tells me that Ubuntu repos won't be useful for
> you because they also don't have the patch you need. Maybe your best bet
> is to push Debian maintainers to include the patch I mentioned. They
> should have it anyhow. Fedora already includes it.

Well, I have been copying most of this thread to a debian bug, so
I trust the Debian maintainer will pick it up soon.

I once knew a little about packaging and built a few deb packages
for my own purposes, so I could probably manage to get this working
with enough time. Needless to say, I don't have that time now :-)

As I needed a working scanner immediately, I have now scanned my
documents using an older version of xsane which was already installed
on devuan live image.

Thanks for the help. I will keep watching this thread.

ael