[sane-devel] Parallel port directio

Gerhard Jäger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Fri Mar 25 07:05:10 GMT 2022

Hi Ralph,

On 25.03.22 at 07:29 Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been testing the plustek_pp driver with a machine that I have.

Wow - never thought that anybody will ever use that thingy in 2022 ;)

> I was surprised to find that the Ubuntu package that I have uses the configure
> option --enable-parport-directio.
> This causes the libieee1284 library use in sanei_pp to be disabled, even though
> libieee1284-3-dev is listed as a dependency.
>
> Is there any reason why we would do this in general?

Think this is set since ages and has never changed. In the 'good old days',
it looked to me that direct I/O works better on that Plustek devices...

Anyhow. Disabling that as per default won't harm - IMO.

> If I test with libieee1284 enabled, it works fine and device names are a bit
> more sane (i.e. for parport0).
> Also, access is available here when a member of the lp group. Don't need to be
> root.

Which is good ;)

Thanks for testing,
  Gerhard