[sane-devel] DocketPORT 487 - Making loud noises

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:37:57 GMT 2023

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 11:34 AM Miss Tori <misstorishop at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/9/23 14:12, Ralph Little wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 11:07 AM Miss Tori <misstorishop at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Update to my mailing below (I deleted it before it was approved to the
>> list)....
>> It definitely has to do with what's going on during the sane_read API
>> function.
>>
>> If I issue scanimage -T,  it will start clicking instantly
>>

> There are a couple of things that I can think of:
>
> 1 - The scan head is hitting the end of travel and is slipping the belt or
> gear, or
> 2-  Whatever motor settings being specified are out of spec for the motor.
>
> Can you confirm is this happens when the scan head is at the end of travel?
> If not, then I suspect that the motor is having some problems with the
> settings used by the backend to drive the motor.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralph
>

> Thank you so much for your reply.
>
> I am unsure of how to do that. I do not see any moving part from the
> outside. I assume I need to open and watch, which is fine. I will open it
> and watch.

If you do have the option to try Windows, then I would give that a go, at
least to verify the correct function of the device.

Actually, since this is a genesys device, it may be that the motor settings
have changed as the genesys backend of SANE was rewritten in C++.
One or two machines have had problems with motor tables from this new
version exhibiting just this problem: the motor just buzzes without moving.
If you are using a recent SANE, then this *could* be the issue.
If so, then we would have to change the motor settings for this machine.

Cheers,
Ralph