[sane-devel] DocketPORT 487 - Making loud noises

Miss Tori misstorishop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:52:52 GMT 2023

On 2/9/23 14:37, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 11:34 AM Miss Tori <misstorishop at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>     On 2/9/23 14:12, Ralph Little wrote:
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 11:07 AM Miss Tori
>>     <misstorishop at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>         Update to my mailing below (I deleted it before it was
>>         approved to the list)....
>>
>>         It definitely has to do with what's going on during the
>>         sane_read API function.
>>
>>         If I issue scanimage -T,  it will start clicking instantly
>>

>>     There are a couple of things that I can think of:
>>
>>     1 - The scan head is hitting the end of travel and is slipping
>>     the belt or gear, or
>>     2-  Whatever motor settings being specified are out of spec for
>>     the motor.
>>
>>     Can you confirm is this happens when the scan head is at the end
>>     of travel?
>>     If not, then I suspect that the motor is having some problems
>>     with the settings used by the backend to drive the motor.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Ralph
>

>     Thank you so much for your reply.
>
>     I am unsure of how to do that. I do not see any moving part from
>     the outside. I assume I need to open and watch, which is fine. I
>     will open it and watch.
>

> If you do have the option to try Windows, then I would give that a go,
> at least to verify the correct function of the device.
>
> Actually, since this is a genesys device, it may be that the motor
> settings have changed as the genesys backend of SANE was rewritten in C++.
> One or two machines have had problems with motor tables from this new
> version exhibiting just this problem: the motor just buzzes without
> moving. If you are using a recent SANE, then this *could* be the issue.
> If so, then we would have to change the motor settings for this machine.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralph

I'll try wine or run a vm. I will then try to locate a windows machine
if those two options don't pan out.

The last time I tried to use it, it worked. That was Sept 2016.

scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.1.1-debian; backend version 1.1.1

I am not fluent in C++, but I am willing to help in any way.

There is a more recent version 1.2.1.
Here are the changes

|genesys:|

  * Fixes for unit test build errors related to GCC 12.
  * Fix for 32-bit limitation on scan line size which caused early
    abort. of scan.
  * Build issue fix for OSX.
  * Button support for Canon 8400f scanner corrected.
  * Support added back in for Plustek OpticFilm 7600i: config file entry
    was missing.

The second one is the only one that  seems like it may be relevant. I
don't know.

I attached lots of my local output and versions to the original email.
Did those make it to the list?