[Showme-devel] Fwd: Julia for ARM

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Oct 21 23:05:11 UTC 2015

Quoting Graham Inggs (2015-10-21 22:29:52)
> On 21 October 2015 at 15:10, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> When you write "on my LIME" do you then mean _Debian_ or Armbian?
>
> Ah, you got me, I am still running Armbian on the LIME.

Ok.

Generally whenever you experiment with stuff non-Debian then make sure
to remember that and mention it when sharing your experiences with
others - like here but more importantly when filing bugreports: Some
Debian package maintainers can (rightfully!) get quite upset when after
spending time debugging a reporting issue realizing that they are -
arguably - wasting time on something not Debian.  That goes for Armbian,
Ubuntu and locally compiled packages alike.

Please note that I am *not* saying you should stick to Debian always,
only that burden should be kept on *you* whenever you don't.

>> If the latter, then please stop confusing matters by ERASING that
>> MicroSD device and move on to the "Debian manually" section of the
>> ShowMeBox box README!
>
> Unfortunately I won't be able to try that until I am back in the
> office at the beginning of November and have access to serial ports
> and reliable internet. :(

Looking forward to that :-)

> In the meantime, it might be useful if someone could try the Julia
> binaries I prepared and/or try building the julia package on an armhf
> board running Jessie.

I will try remember to test that later - _after_ I progress further on
section "Debian automated" of our install routines.

Please make sure to make source packages available too, as they seem
Ubuntu-specific and (in any case) I might want to rebuild.

 - Jonas