[Soc-coordination] [GSoC] Status Reoprt: Java Project Dependency Builder

Andrew Schurman arcticwaters at gmail.com
Sat May 31 07:44:26 UTC 2014

This week, I started implementation on the SCM builder portion of the
project. It is being built as a plexus component for easy addition
into the Maven world. So far, I've figured out how to get the SCM
information from an arbitrary maven artifact and can checkout the
source code. Source code is being provided by the maven-scm-plugin
through [1] through the maven-executor [2] so that we get multiple VCS
backends for free with a unified way of defining a backend for a new
VCS.

Being able to test this small portion of code is another matter as
I've hit a few roadblocks along the way. I've been trying to find a
framework that will work without forking off a new maven process to
speed up testing, but so far there has been too much stubbing in the
frameworks that don't. During this investigation I've also learned of
a few API calls which I must be careful of which will force the plugin
to work with only a single version of maven (for example, the aether
artifacts moved to the eclipse namespace in 3.1).

I've also spent a little bit of time reading up on debian packaging
while creating a package for a small java project weupnp. This has
given me a little more insight into what goes into a package and
possibly some notes on tools which I will be interacting with later in
the project.

That's it for this week.

Cheers,
Andrew