[Soc-coordination] GSoC 2015 Week 3: Apport for Debian

Yuru Shao shaoyuru at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 02:30:37 UTC 2015

Hi all,

This week I got feedback from my mentor and we discussed new tasks. I (1) changed my implementations of saving bandwidth by leveraging system cache and (2) started working on integrating Apport with the debian BTS.

(1) Previously I made symbolics links under user cache directory which point to deb packages under the system cache. I thought this could save both bandwidth and diskspace. My mentor pointed out "this may not work when those paths are across different partitions and file systems, because symbolic links don’t traverse across file systems”. He recommended me to just do copying. We still can save bandwidth in this way. According to that I changed my implementations [1].

(2) I started working on the integration with debian BTS. We’re planning to fetch bug reports from BTS using python-debianpts [2][3], and display them to users. With this new feature users can browser related bug reports and find patches more efficiently. This is still ongoing and I’m hoping to get this done before the end of next week.

[1] https://github.com/windflyer/apport <https://github.com/windflyer/apport>
[2] https://github.com/venthur/python-debianbts <https://github.com/venthur/python-debianbts>[3] https://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python-debianbts.html <https://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python-debianbts.html>