[tryton-debian] tarball compression

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Sun Jan 26 20:07:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> packaged (as you may have seen on debian.tryton.org) and have ITPs. Based on
> this list I would be pleased to get your input what to do next.

I don't have any priority, so just submit me what you think is best. :)

> Most urgent at the moment is tryton-modules-timesheet-cost [1], which blocks
> tryton-modules-project-revenue.

Ok looking that at that package now. Here are my comments/questions:
* drop debian/source/options, in sid dpkg uses xz by default (and in
  general, compression-level=9 is not a good idea with xz as it imposes
  a high memory consumption for compression for a relatively small gain
  compared to the default compression level)
* debian/rules: can you explain me why "export LC_ALL=C.UTF-8" is needed
  for pbuilder ?
* debian/rules "override_dh_builddeb", drop that as well, for the same
  reason than the first point.
* debian/rules: why are you building PACKAGE_NAME out of the upstream
  setup.py and not using something like "dh_listpackages | head -n 1" ?
* debian/rules: you disable tests because they download dependencies from
  pypi. Is that true even if you have all the dependencies satisfied
  on the local system? If not, maybe that just means that we have to add
  the required dependencies in Build-Depends.
* debian/rules: PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2 seems useless, what's its purpose ?
* debian/control: why are repositories hosted on debian.tryton.org
  (who controls that?) and not on git.debian.org under the tryton project?

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> goocalendar (Recommends of the client) [2]

Many comments of tryton-modules-timesheet-cost apply to goocalendar too.

> Is the following changelog ok for you
>
> ------------
> tryton-modules-account-fr (3.0.0-3) unstable; urgency=medium
>
>   * New upload to mentors.debian.org. Really (Closes: #706836).
>
>  -- Mathias Behrle <mathiasb at m9s.biz>  Sun, 26 Jan 2014 14:26:02 +0100
>
> tryton-modules-account-fr (3.0.0-2) unstable; urgency=low
> -------------
>
> or do you prefer me resetting previous distribution entries to UNRELEASED first?

Resetting entries to UNRELEASED is not needed. And maybe the latest
changelog entry is also not needed... if there are no functional changes.
BTW git has 3.0.0-1 right now (I don't see the -2).

> I am ready to contact ftp-masters beforehand to ask for a concerted action on
> all tryton-modules*. For me it would make much sense to handle them all in one
> slide, because they are identical with respect to license and package
> layout. I think, overall it would be a really time saver to handle them all
> instead of one by one.
>
> What do you think about that?

You can ask them if you want but I believe that if we upload them all at
the same time, they will most likely be all processed together by the same
person.

> Do you prefer to build from mentors or from git?

Both are OK but I prefer git.

> The packages are building with plain (p)debuild or when using gbp using
>
> $ git-buildpackage --git-pristine-tar --git-compression=xz \
>   --git-debian-branch=debian --git-ignore-new

--git-compression is useless since you already use pristine-tar.

--git-ignore-new should probably also not be needed, instead I tend
to build in ../build-aread with --git-export-dir=../build-area/
and --git-cleaner=/bin/true to avoid letting git-buildpackage mess
with my git repository.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/