[tryton-debian] tarball compression

Mathias Behrle mathiasb at m9s.biz
Mon Jan 27 18:57:13 UTC 2014

* Raphael Hertzog: " Re: [tryton-debian] tarball compression" (Sun, 26 Jan 2014
  21:07:18 +0100):

Hi Raphael,

> I don't have any priority, so just submit me what you think is best. :)

That's great. I would really like to get all missing modules into Debian to be
complete. I will ping you finally as soon as I will have finished your comments
and think, that the packages are ready in git.

> > Most urgent at the moment is tryton-modules-timesheet-cost [1], which blocks
> > tryton-modules-project-revenue.

Resorted for better reading:

> Ok looking that at that package now. Here are my comments/questions:
> * drop debian/source/options, in sid dpkg uses xz by default (and in
>   general, compression-level=9 is not a good idea with xz as it imposes
>   a high memory consumption for compression for a relatively small gain
>   compared to the default compression level)
> * debian/rules "override_dh_builddeb", drop that as well, for the same
>   reason than the first point.

override_dh_builddeb was already droppped (s. [1]), but I missed to drop the
options. Will catch up on this.

> * debian/rules: can you explain me why "export LC_ALL=C.UTF-8" is needed
>   for pbuilder ?

It is #725788.

> * debian/rules: why are you building PACKAGE_NAME out of the upstream
>   setup.py and not using something like "dh_listpackages | head -n 1" ?

Because I didn't knew it;). I will have a look at it. But it seems I don't need
it any more, which is best.

> * debian/rules: you disable tests because they download dependencies from
>   pypi. Is that true even if you have all the dependencies satisfied
>   on the local system? If not, maybe that just means that we have to add
>   the required dependencies in Build-Depends.

I think it was impossible, because setuptools/pip phone home, but I will verify
once more.

> * debian/rules: PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2 seems useless, what's its purpose ?

It seems indeed no more needed. I will remove it.

> * debian/control: why are repositories hosted on debian.tryton.org
>   (who controls that?) and not on git.debian.org under the tryton project?

I think you dropped there because of the old VCS-fields of the mentor package.
That's history.
All git repos are on alioth [2]. The machine hosting debian.tryton.org now only
hosts the binaries [3], that are not official. I am in control of the VM.

I think I will drop the packages from mentors, because you will build from git
anyway and they are already outdated.

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> > goocalendar (Recommends of the client) [2]
>
> Many comments of tryton-modules-timesheet-cost apply to goocalendar too.

Of course. I try to keep all repositories as close as possible for the sake of
maintenance.

> > Is the following changelog ok for you
> >
> > ------------
> > tryton-modules-account-fr (3.0.0-3) unstable; urgency=medium
> >
> >   * New upload to mentors.debian.org. Really (Closes: #706836).
> >
> >  -- Mathias Behrle <mathiasb at m9s.biz>  Sun, 26 Jan 2014 14:26:02 +0100
> >
> > tryton-modules-account-fr (3.0.0-2) unstable; urgency=low
> > -------------
> >
> > or do you prefer me resetting previous distribution entries to UNRELEASED
> > first?
>
> Resetting entries to UNRELEASED is not needed. And maybe the latest
> changelog entry is also not needed... if there are no functional changes.
> BTW git has 3.0.0-1 right now (I don't see the -2).

Same problem as above, wrong VCS location.

> > I am ready to contact ftp-masters beforehand to ask for a concerted action
> > on all tryton-modules*. For me it would make much sense to handle them all
> > in one slide, because they are identical with respect to license and package
> > layout. I think, overall it would be a really time saver to handle them all
> > instead of one by one.
> >
> > What do you think about that?
>
> You can ask them if you want but I believe that if we upload them all at
> the same time, they will most likely be all processed together by the same
> person.

Ok, that's great.

> > Do you prefer to build from mentors or from git?
>
> Both are OK but I prefer git.
>
> > The packages are building with plain (p)debuild or when using gbp using
> >
> > $ git-buildpackage --git-pristine-tar --git-compression=xz \
> >   --git-debian-branch=debian --git-ignore-new
>
> --git-compression is useless since you already use pristine-tar.
>
> --git-ignore-new should probably also not be needed, instead I tend
> to build in ../build-aread with --git-export-dir=../build-area/
> and --git-cleaner=/bin/true to avoid letting git-buildpackage mess
> with my git repository.

Will try that. Thanks a lot for your review and tipps!

Cheers,
Mathias

[1]
https://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmgit/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=tryton/tryton-modules-timesheet-cost.git;a=blobdiff;f=debian/rules;h=2eb33bc3b8a13357cc74fdaa0806d2f10ee81bd2;hp=5b8c32666673331af90f3ed790f6fc61b781568d;hb=bf3811ccf8d98dac9fe150fd865c21c7bd28960b;hpb=c8c99371345d8735a9fc812c9022d62a0c4bf673
[2]
https://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmgit/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?a=project_list&s=tryton%2F&btnS=Search
[3] http://debian.tryton.org/debian/

--

    Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6