[tryton-debian] tarball compression

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Mon Jan 27 21:56:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> > * debian/rules: can you explain me why "export LC_ALL=C.UTF-8" is needed
> >   for pbuilder ?
>
> It is #725788.

So please include that bug number in the comment. "Needed for pbuilder
until #725788 is fixed."

That way we know when it can be dropped (BTW I don't use pbuilder but
sbuild).

> All git repos are on alioth [2]. The machine hosting debian.tryton.org now only
> hosts the binaries [3], that are not official. I am in control of the VM.

Good. Thanks for this service BTW, I'm running 3.0 on wheezy thanks to
your packages.

> I think I will drop the packages from mentors, because you will build from git
> anyway and they are already outdated.

Go ahead.

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> > > * debian/rules: PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2 seems useless, what's its purpose ?
> >
> > It seems indeed no more needed. I will remove it.
>
> I now remember the plan.
>
> It is not needed for dh_python2, but it is needed for dh_python3 (otherwise
> python3-*: empty-binary-package).
> My current plan is to switch all Tryton packages to python3, as soon as the
> dependencies and Tryton itself will be available in Python 3 (thus not building
> any python2 after the switch).

I don't think it's reasonable to switch that way. There will
be users who will have to run it on Python 2 until /usr/bin/python
is python3.

So you can certainly contemplate providing python3-tryton-* but it's
not reasonable to no longer provide python-tryton-* supporting python2.

So if you want to prepare for the future, you should better provide
the two lines:
PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2=...
PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python3=...

But even better than all that is to rely on pybuild's ability to detect
the target directories by just setting "PYBUILD_NAME=tryton-foo" and
then it will use debian/python-tryton-foo & debian/python3-tryton-foo
as appropriate.

> This way we will have to switch simply to PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python3 and we will be
> done (not needing any double packages for different python versions nor
> different name spaces and saving the time to pass all packages through NEW).

What makes you think this is a good idea? I could understand adding
python3 support to the current python-tryton-* modules while adding
Provides: python3-tryton-* but just changing the set of supported
versions without any intersection between the two sets looks like a
terrible idea.

I have not been involved in the Debian python team but I doubt that
this is how they expect the migration to happen.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/