[Tux4kids-discuss] [GSoC] Tux Racing UI feedback

Kento Locatelli me at klocatelli.name
Mon Jul 23 07:01:42 UTC 2012

Thank you for trying it out!

On 7/22/2012 2:46 AM, Pere Pujal i Carabantes wrote:
> El dv 20 de 07 de 2012 a les 00:00 -0700, en/na Kento Locatelli va
> escriure:
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> The Tux Racing cross-platform/mobile game project is about 3/4 done, and
>> I would like your assistance in testing what is complete so far.
>>
>> Thus far most of the work has been with the "infrastructure" part of the
>> app so it's not particularly interesting yet, but the rest of the game
>> is based on this so I need your help in verifying it works properly! So
>> please mess around with it a little and let me know of anything that
>> comes up, whether it's a bug or suggestions for improving the
>> aesthetics. I am especially interested in problems with the problem
>> generator or UI on desktop browsers/iOS/Android, although feedback on
>> other problems/smartphone platforms is welcome as well. Relatively
>> recent Firefox/Chrome/Chromium serve as a good reference.
>>
>> Android APK (Android 2.2+):
>> https://github.com/klocatelli/TuxRacing/TuxRacing.apk/qr_code (May have
>> to temporarily allow non-Marketplace apps)
>> Web-based: http://www.klocatelli.name/TuxRacing/#/index (After loading
>> once, should work offline in relatively modern browsers)
>> iOS package will be released with the final version, but currently
>> pending response from Apple regarding beta releases
> Testing in a hurry
> Only testing on iceweassel 10.0, don't have android:
> language settings ca es en : error no modules for your locale, should
> default to english?
> language settings en ca es : runs
Unfortunately the game only has access to the highest priority language
setting, so it doesn't know you have English enabled at a lower
priority. But I agree, it's a bit odd to have the game default to a
different language (English) and then tell you there aren't any modules
for your language... I changed it so everything defaults to English, and
lessons that support your language show up at the top of the lesson list
while lessons that don't show up lower down with a warning that they're
in another language.

> playing chemistry:
> significant figures: Don't know what are significant figures so figure
> kids...
> density: haven't managed to get recognized right responses.
Turns out the density problem was a bug in how answers were checked in
the chemistry lesson, it should work as expected now.
I agree that the questions don't fit the purpose of the game, but they
are for demonstration purposes only :)

> playing arithmetic: right responses are recognized, Perhaps one would
> expect a map 1<->1 from right  responses to stars. Putting the questions
> in small blocks of 5 questions each is great.
Isn't that what it's doing right now? Every question is worth 3 / total
number of questions. Right now all exercises are 5 questions long, so
every question is worth 0.6 stars. If an exercise was 15 questions long,
every question would be worth 0.2 stars. The stars count is rounded
though, so if you get 2 questions right you only see Stars = 1 (even
though it's 1.2).

> The ok dialog is a pain, it should autovanish and show the right
> response in case of error, we are teaching after all.
> The number of stars and the title of the exercise perhaps should show on
> the top of the question
I agree, the current exercise page is a pain... however it's just for
demonstration :D My previous email should have had some attachments
showing what the final exercise page will look like, though I will alter
it to include your suggestion of the exercise title / stars.

> No mute/unmute here
>
> HTH
> Pere
Thanks, that was another bug! Should be fixed now, though I tested with
Iceweasel 11 instead of 10

Cheers!
- Kento