[Tux4kids-discuss] Interested in contributing to Tux4kids

Alangi Derick alangiderick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 07:20:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Daivik Nema <daiviknema at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sir / Ma'am,
>
> I am interested in contributing to Tux4kids. However, being only a college
> student, my skill set is rather limited. I am well versed with C/C++ and
> Python. I also have some knowledge of data structures and algorithms. I have
> done some web developent and am familiar with basic HTML, CSS and
> JavaScript. I would appreciate any thoughts and inputs with regards to how I
> should go about get started and which project (TuxMath, TuxPaint or
> TuxTyping) would be best suited for me.
>
> Also, this is NOT for GSoC - I know it is way too early for that. This is my
> first try at open source projects and I want to see whether or not I'm cut
> out for it.
>
> Regards,
> Daivik

You are welcome Daivik. Its great to hear that you want to contribute
to open source organisations/projects. Just keep up the good job. We
shall give you all the help you need but you have to be patient when
you make a post on this mailing list so that someone can read and help
you on what you want.

Choose a project you are interested in so that you can start
familiarizing your self with the code base. Fix some bugs, write
patches and then explore the organisation with its members. Most of
what you need is documented online so ask intelligent questions.

For quick access and to talk to other members of the organisation,
visit #tux4kids channel on irc.freenode.net