[Tux4kids-discuss] Tux Mind Maths

Amey Agrawal f2014148 at pilani.bits-pilani.ac.in
Sat Mar 26 13:10:45 UTC 2016

Hi Akshay,

To start with you need to understand, Copyright protects the expression of
an idea, but not the idea itself. The names of games mentioned in the
proposal are to express the underlying concept also the games developed as
demos are proof of concept. Neither the code or the artwork are supposed to
be replicated from any on those games. If you have tried the demo for
pacman-alike game i have put up, you would have realized that even the game
rules are pretty different form the original.

Tux Mind Math will be an original game, with its own unique artwork and
code. All its dependencies will be free/libre. I have been a freelance
graphics designer for a while now and worked on over 20 large and small
projects and understand the importance of trademark and copyright rules.
The only reason I have added graphics for UI but not for the demo games is
designing graphics for games need developing new characters as well as new
environment.

Their are many freely available versions of all the games mentioned in
the proposal, Even including google's own copy of pacman hosted on 21st May
2010 among webpacman.com, freepacman.com. The original creators of games
might challenge such projects but when the code base and artwork
and completely different the argument gets cloudy,
hence usually such incidences do not occur. Still may be the most notable
such incidence was one that happened in 2010 with scratch team. The replica
of pacman was taken down by Scratch team, Mainly because it was one of the
many projects on scratch and they did not want to take any trouble for a
single project. You can find out little more about it here
<https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/92354/>. Today many replicas of
pacman exist on scratch project. Also to remind you it was a replica of
pacman with exactly similar graphics. While the proposed project will have
their unique graphics.

Inspirations are crucial for creativity, the marvel of human society we see
today is built upon ideas flowing thought out the world and
among generations. It is important for a developer like you to understand
the difference between ideas and content. I hope you have gained a better
understanding of the issue. I would suggest you to thoroughly examine
better making statements, especially those critical to others.

Regards,
Amey