[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] TuxType progress tracking / reporting functionality

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Thu Oct 22 00:23:04 UTC 2009

David Bruce wrote:
> There should be a new release of tuxtype very soon (meaning once I
> shuffle it to the top of about a dozen things I should get done "any
> time") that has many more finger exercise lessons, word lists, much
> nicer backgrounds and music, and an in-game word-list editor from this
> summer's GSoC.  So the "content" part will be substantially improved,
> but will certainly have room for improvement.

That is awesome, and I can't wait to see some of it!! :)

> It sounds like we should look at the progress-tracking stuff in Typing
> Master to get an idea of what we need to shoot for.

Here are some links for us to start:

Main "Administrator Manual":
http://online3.typingmaster.com/tmonline3/manuals/manager_manual/manager_manual_uk.html#213

"Information Fields":
http://online3.typingmaster.com/tmonline3/manuals/manager_manual/manager_manual_uk.html#213

"Study Settings":
http://online3.typingmaster.com/tmonline3/manuals/manager_manual/manager_manual_uk.html#622

Here's the infamous "Mavis Beacon" typing tutor program features (look
at the "Progress Tracking & Reporting" section):

http://www.broderbund.com/store/broder/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/Mavis_Beacon_Teaches_Typingreg_Platinum_20/productID.110146300/categoryID.13528800

Notes:

- Grouping common keyboarding studies together into "lessons" are
essential - For example, "Home Keys", "Numbers", etc.

- Having a "test" area is essential for users to pass to the next
lesson. For example, you do the home key tutoring lessons to take the
test at the end of the lesson, so you can move onto the more advanced
lessons .

- It might be worthwhile to have a separate users/groups system since
there are so many different facilities for that
(passwd/ldap/windows/mac/etc). Maybe a choice would be a good thing when
setting things up initially.

> The tux4kids-admin project is intended to help to take our apps to the
> next level for in-school use, but it has a ways to go before release.
> It is still at a sort of alpha stage - there aren't any tarballs or
> packages yet, just the code in svn.

Still sounds great! Anything worth while takes a lot of time and effort,
and this is no exception.

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns

--
Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions

* Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail *

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blog.logicalnetworking.net

	IBM to deliver Ubuntu Linux computers instead of Windows 7
	PulseAudio creator talks about the future of Linux audio
	10/GUI: A new idea for interacting with your computer (video)