[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] TuxType progress tracking / reporting functionality

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Mon Oct 26 17:55:27 UTC 2009

(Don't think this reply was posted to the list)

Matthew McSpadden wrote:
> I agree with grouping studies together, but I must disagree when it
> comes to using home keys, and other such typical typing studies. Someone
> had posted to the mailing lists a while back about a new concept that
> was being studied. Most of these typing programs that you listed for
> examples (Mavis Beacon, Typing master, etc.) have the thought that you
> start with the home row and if you memorize the keys and practice
> eventually you will get very fast. But recent studies show that some of
> the fastest and most accurate typists do not use "correct" typing.
> Rather they learned certain key patterns. I do not know if his holds
> true in other languages, but for instance when your hands have memorized
> how to type "ing" it will memorize the pattern and be able to type it
> faster. I am working to impliment something like this at the school
> where i teach (waiting for that word lists editor, which would make my
> job easier, lol) but have the kids practice "ing" "ough" "ast" "est"
> "ist" "tha" "the" "thi" etc. The common syllables that can be combined
> with a few other letters to make so many words. The fastest typists in
> my school are the ones that type by having their fingers memorize
> patterns as opposed to letters. I would like to suggest that Tux4Kids
> look at some of those options as well, since I think the goal is to have
> the kids learn to type accurately and quickly rather than to simply copy
> a typical typing program.

This is a novel idea, and I'm sure it's not the only alternative to the
'traditional' typing tutor methods of learning home keys, etc.. With
that, it would probably be a good idea to keep in mind we should be
keeping the lessons as modular as possible so you can plug in any kind
of typing lessons you want. Building from a good foundation allows for
the greatest amount of flexibility and therefore the most happy
users/admins. :)

>> - Having a "test" area is essential for users to pass to the next
>> lesson. For example, you do the home key tutoring lessons to take the
>> test at the end of the lesson, so you can move onto the more advanced
>> lessons .
>>

> I think this is a great idea. And it bring up a thought that might
> should be in another email, but has Tux4Kids ever considered for Tuxtype
> or TuxMath a level code system? I haven't the slightest idea how it
> would work, but the kids are often annoyed that they get to say level 25
> and then the class ends and the next class they have to start all over
> again. I know in some games say every 5 levels they give you a code that
> you can put in and begin on that level the next time.

IMHO This would be best to have in the base structure of the progress
tracking mechanism. A 'code' would work too but it defeats the purpose
because teachers need to know where the kids are to be able to grade
them effectively.

>> - It might be worthwhile to have a separate users/groups system since
>> there are so many different facilities for that
>> (passwd/ldap/windows/mac/etc). Maybe a choice would be a good thing when
>> setting things up initially.
>>
> I didn't quite understand the wording for this but i'm assuming you're
> talking about some way to store the user information. I would like to
> make two suggestions. One is XML, easily portable to and from multiple
> platforms, does not require much knowledge to use it. Securing it
> somehow might be a problem though. There is also MYSQL a database
> program that is open source and cross-platform. Requires a bit more
> setup and knowledge but is accessible through many different programs.

+1 for XML, I think. That would be the most portable between OSes.

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns