[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Tuxmath-devel] t4k_common problem in tuxtype and tuxmath

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:23:51 UTC 2010

Hi Victor,

So far, I can't reproduce your error.  Both t4kcommon and tuxmath are
building and installing fine on this 32-bit Debian Sid system, with
all combinations of autotools and cmake.

> I'm in the right branch, the current master (commonification). I've waited
> the merge to start looking into the code again.

Just to be sure, the old "master" had a problem because it erroneously
used a T4K_common function but didn't link to t4k_common by default.
Look at configure.ac in your working tuxmath branch, line 262, and
make sure it says "dnl libt4kcommon is now required".  If it doesn't
say that, you still have the old "master".  Because of the brute-force
way I renamed "commonification" to be "master", you need to reset it
to the current "master" with:

git checkout master
git reset --hard origin/master

Also, you could try building with autotools (from build directory)

autoreconf -if ..
../configure
make
sudo make install

With autotools, the output is more verbose and includes the complete
command passed to gcc, including all the linker flags.  Make sure the
link-time gcc command includes "-lt4k_common".  If that flag isn't
there, it says that configure isn't trying to link to the library,
which most likely means you don't actually have the latest master.

> True. To run Tuxtype 'sudo ldconfig /usr/local/lib' works fine but the
> problem to compile tuxmath persists.

The only other thing I can think of is whether Arch Linux might
require a different ldconfig command than Debian.  But the fact that
tuxtype got fixed by the above command argues against it.

Hope this helps,

David Bruce