[Nut-upsuser] Recommended UPS to buy for use with NUT?

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sun Jun 4 19:54:45 UTC 2006

Hi Arjen,

I understand your technical points, but I think you are overkilling
this user with information. He asked a simple question about what UPS
he should buy. For reference, here is his original question:

Clay Barnes wrote:

> I am running a home box (600watt total load, may expand to 800-900) and
> I need a UPS that can sustain power to that for at least 20 min, but
> I want as much time as I can get.
>
> Does anyone on the list have a similar setup with a UPS that was easy to
> set up with NUT?
>
> Generally speaking, what mfrs. and models are very well supported?
> Which should I avoid at all costs?
>
> I know this seems like something that would be in the archives, but my
> searches thus far have been fruitless.

Many PC's nowadays ship with power supplies rated 3A or similar (for
example, I have such a PC). This is of course overengineered, as no PC
will actually draw this much power, but I guess consumers are happy
with the idea that they could put, I don't know, ten motherboards into
their computer without changing the power supply. The downside is that
a UPS's nominal output power should ideally match the nominal power
supply of the PC, regardless whether that power is actually utilized.

So when I got my PC, I multiplied 3A by 120V to obtain 360VA. To this,
I added some more VA for the monitor and other miscellaneous stuff.
As a consumer, I didn't know much about the difference between Watts
and VA, so I may have easily confused one with the other. Fortunately,
this didn't matter since my power supply was rated in Amps anyway, so
when I multiplied that by 120 Volts I got the correct answer.  Perhaps
Clay did a similar calculation. (In which case he would, indeed, be
speaking of maximum, not average, load).

So to answer his question: pretty much any store-bought UPS will do in
your situation. My personal advice: avoid Belkin; their hardware and
software is crap. Look at the compatibility list at
http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/, and get a UPS that is listed
there, if possible. On the box, it is usually written (in big letters)
how much runtime you can expect at a given load, so just buy one that
says you get at least 20 minutes for some reasonable load.

-- Peter