[Nut-upsuser] sweex 1000VA LB OB issue

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun Jan 28 17:57:04 CET 2007

Herman wrote:

>> Are you absolutely sure that the UPS is connected to /dev/ttyS0? The
>> fact that the driver is reporting "OB LB" may also mean nothing is
>> connected to the port.
> Thank you for your fast reply,
> Yes i am quite sure my Sweex UPS 1000VA is connected to the correct
> port. This port is also owned by the NUT user.
> I have tested this by connecting a modem and sending an AT commando to
> it. It happily replayed with OK.

That should be enough. OK, the port is right. What about the cable, you
did use the one provided with the UPS I guess, since you also used it
with the Windows software (with the same cable?)

> Also i have connected the UPS to a windows machine. The bundled software
> worked on that machine UPSmart 2.14. The linux software on the CD wasn't
> useful since i don't run X. The manual  i got with the UPS was a
> complete waste of time. It was written for a different version software
> i guess you would call it the "safenet" protocol.
>
> This suggests that  sweex  doesn't know what UPS'es they are actually
> shipping. Or to stupid to include the right manual..

Spot on. I have told them this more than two years ago, but apparently
they just don't care about it. They are notorious for not caring at all
about this... :-(

Could you try to snoop the serial communication between Windows driver
and the UPS? The following link will point you to some software that may
aid in this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/Portmon.mspx

If you post the first 10 seconds of output, someone might be able to
figure out what protocol is used and if we have a driver for it.

Best regards, Arjen