[Nut-upsuser] sequence of events / timing upssched/master/slave etc

Olaf Zevenboom olaf at artefact.nl
Fri Jan 25 15:39:37 UTC 2008

Dear List,

I am a bit uncertain about some aspects of NUT and have not been able to
find the desired info in the documentation.
We have a server monitoring the network and it is also running the
ups/nut-daemon. Together with some other important servers (all Linux)
it is logical to make these monitor the UPS as 'master'. While other
servers (mostly windows running winnut, some linux) can be configured to
monitor the ups daemon as slaves.
The server running the daemon is configured to use upssched.
The questions are:
- flags/events : are these broadcasted to other servers so upssched is
only useful to control the server running the daemon itself? Or are the
events only passed on after the timer of upssched is completed?
- can events/flags be manipulated? (from within the upssched script on
the server running the deamon)
- can upssched also be implemented on windows machines?
- how do servers configured as NUT master handle stale servers
configured as slaves? Do they keep waiting?
- one of the servers is a Virtual Machine server running various VMs.
These VMs aswel as the server itself all run NUT but an extra dependency
is introduced here. The main server must de downed last. Any insights on
this?

So I am trying to figure out which timers / configuration aspects are
running sequential or parallel so I can figure out how to manipulate
things and control the sequence in which the servers are shutdowned.
This is a mixed Windows/Linux environment with some physical and some
virtual servers all running NUT. Any info much appreciated.

Regards,

Olaf Zevenboom