[Nut-upsuser] two MGE Ellipse 1500 ups via usb

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun Nov 15 19:12:37 UTC 2009

Citeren Thomas Gutzler <thomas.gutzler op gmail.com>:

[...]

> Strangely, vendor is '0x0463 MGE UPS Systems' for both.

Eaton is now the owner of what was formerly known as MGE Office
Protection Systems, which in turn is part of what used to be known as
MGE.

> They're also on the same bus ('Bus 003 Device 063' and 'Bus 003 Device 064')
> Since there is no flag for manufacturer,

There is. See 'man 8 usbhid-ups' for all regular expressions that you
can use to identify units.

> I had to go with serial. This
> is my new ups.conf:
> [ups1]
>        driver = usbhid-ups
>        port = /dev/usb/hiddev0
>        serial=000000000
> [ups2]
>        driver = usbhid-ups
>        port = /dev/usb/hiddev1
>        serial=1HCG4700J

The value of port isn't used, so we recommend setting it to

          port = auto

to prevent people from thinking that it attaches to the location
specified (this value needs to be present, but isn't actually used).

> When I run upsdrvctl start ups1, it starts /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -a ups1
> but no -x flag.

The driver reads most parameters directly from ups.conf, so this isn't
added by upsdrvctl.

> Starting usbhid-ups manually with the -x serial=000000000 and -DD flag shows:
> Checking device (0463/FFFF) (003/064)
> - VendorID: 0463
> - ProductID: ffff
> - Manufacturer: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
> - Product: ELLIPSE
> - Serial Number: 1HCG4700J
> - Bus: 003
> Trying to match device
> Device does not match - skipping
> Checking device (0463/FFFF) (003/063)
> - VendorID: 0463
> - ProductID: ffff
> - Manufacturer: EATON
> - Product: ELLIPSE
> - Serial Number: 000000000
> - Bus: 003
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
>
> so it seems to be working. But how can I get upsdrvctl to add the -x
> flag automatically?

This isn't needed. Running

     /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DD -a ups1

and

     /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DD -a ups2

in another window should result in both instances running fine.
Likewise, running it from upsdrvctl (with the above ups.conf file)
should also work. Please confirm that there are no instances of
usbhid-ups left running in the background before trying this out. This
is a common mistake.

One thing you may want to check as well, is that there are no trailing
spaces in ups.conf. We have unconfirmed reports that this could
confuse the configuration parser (but were never able to reproduce the
problem).

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list