[Nut-upsuser] two MGE Ellipse 1500 ups via usb

Thomas Gutzler thomas.gutzler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 02:01:35 UTC 2009

Hi Arjen,

thanks for your quick reply.

Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren Thomas Gutzler <thomas.gutzler at gmail.com>:
>
>> They're also on the same bus ('Bus 003 Device 063' and 'Bus 003 Device
>> 064')
>> Since there is no flag for manufacturer,
>
> There is. See 'man 8 usbhid-ups' for all regular expressions that you
> can use to identify units.

I did that, but all I could find was vendor, product, serial, vendorid,
productid and bus. I was assuming that those correspond to idVendor (the
string), iProduct, iSerial, idVendor (the hex number), idProduct and Bus
in lsusb -v.

>> I had to go with serial. This
>> is my new ups.conf:
>> [ups1]
>>        driver = usbhid-ups
>>        port = /dev/usb/hiddev0
>>        serial=000000000
>> [ups2]
>>        driver = usbhid-ups
>>        port = /dev/usb/hiddev1
>>        serial=1HCG4700J
>
> The value of port isn't used, so we recommend setting it to
>
>          port = auto
>
> to prevent people from thinking that it attaches to the location
> specified (this value needs to be present, but isn't actually used).

Ok, did that.

> [...] Running
>
>     /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DD -a ups1
>
> and
>
>     /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DD -a ups2
>
> in another window should result in both instances running fine.
> Likewise, running it from upsdrvctl (with the above ups.conf file)
> should also work. Please confirm that there are no instances of
> usbhid-ups left running in the background before trying this out. This
> is a common mistake.

I always made sure that all instances of usbhid-ups were killed before
trying out a new configuration.

> One thing you may want to check as well, is that there are no trailing
> spaces in ups.conf. We have unconfirmed reports that this could confuse
> the configuration parser (but were never able to reproduce the problem).

Did that too and the usbhid-ups -DD output indicated that it read the
serial number from ups.conf, so I started it via init script and it
worked. Great. Put some spaces back into ups.conf, stopped and started
everything and it still works. So I'm not really sure what I've done but
it's fixed now.
Thanks!

On a slightly related note.
Is it possible to configure two different SHUTDOWNCMDs for two different
UPSs?

Cheers,
  Tom