[Nut-upsuser] troubleshooting UPS ups at localhost is unavailable

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 14:03:52 UTC 2009

2009/11/30 raf <raf at raf.org>:
> Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>> 2009/11/30 raf <nut at raf.org>:
>> > hi,
>>
>> Hi Raf,
>>
>> > i've just set up two new computers each with a Powerware 3105 ups.
>> > they have identical nut configurations and identical upss which
>> > are both plugged in via usb but only one is being detected by nut.
>> > the other keeps saying:
>> >
>> >  Broadcast Message from nut at server-1
>> >          (somewhere) at 14:52 ...
>> >  UPS ups at localhost is unavailable
>> > (...)
>>
>> everything seems fine there.
>> I've recently made several changes and improvements on this driver
>> (the USB one) and would be interested in a driver debug output, ie:
>> $ /lib/nut/bcmxcp_usb -DDD -a ups
>>
>> according to these info, I'll be able to give you a solution.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Arnaud
>> --
>> Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops
>> Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org/
>> Debian Developer - http://www.debian.org
>> Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/
>
> hi arnaud,
>
> i've attached the output from both hosts. strangely, the output
> for the one that works is almost identical to the one that
> doesn't.

have you started NUT on both machine the same way (ie using
/etc/init.d/nut or invoke-rc.d)?
the driver starts fine on both machine, but it seems upsd is missing
on the 2nd box...
can you check it (using "ps")?
and if you confirm it is not there, can you try launching upsd
manually and report back.

cheers,
Arnaud
--