[Nut-upsuser] Using snmp for APC smarts

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 02:35:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Henk van Lingen <henk at vanlingen.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 08:30:38PM -0400, Charles Lepple wrote:
>> On Jun 25, 2010, at 8:56 AM, Henk van Lingen wrote:
>>
>> >in ups.conf. I can read the variables using upsc. However it seems,
>> >I can't actually execute  commands on the UPSses this way.
>> >( upscmd  some-ups calibrate.start )
>>
>> Some things I probably should have asked earlier:
>>
>> 1) Is this command actually listed in the output of "upscmd -l"?
>
> No, it lists no commands at all:
>
> henk at swizzy:~-$ upscmd  -l snmp
> Instant commands supported on UPS [snmp]:
>
> henk at swizzy:~-$
>
> Hence my initial question about any commands being available by the
> way of the snmp driver.

Ah, OK. I wasn't sure if it was being listed as supported but not executing.

There is definitely code in the apc-mib.c file that appears to support
it, via the OID I mentioned:

'4) Does the calibration work if you manually run something like:
 "snmpset <host-and-community>
PowerNet-MIB::upsAdvTestRuntimeCalibration.0 i 2" ?
(if it does, you should be able to stop it by changing the "2" to a "3").'

Again, Arnaud or someone else with more experience with that driver
might be able to help troubleshoot this better.

--
- Charles Lepple