[Nut-upsuser] Advice on small office UPS

Doug Parsons doug at parsonsemail.com
Wed Apr 25 00:45:26 UTC 2012

Alastair,

Looks like the 5PX is taking the place of the Evolution in that size range.
I have some 2200 Evolutions but they don't make them any more. Also the
pricing is different for the US market.

One of the biggest selling points for me was we had several power events
where the power cycled very rapidly. The UPS units appeared to pass some of
the dips through to the equipment so some of the routers hung. After that we
only use online units in the data center, especially when a transfer switch
is involved. I do not recall the ups brand but it was either APC or MGE
(major brands). Since we went to the EX models we have not had any issues.
For the closets I go with the Evolution unless it is over 1500.

With the mix of equipment there is always the issue if it is built to take
the slight outage that is always passed with a line interactive unit. Think
of it this way, some equipment when unplugged runs for a second or two
(laptop power bricks come to mind) and some equipment die instantly. If the
power supply has enough buffer or capacitor built in it can take a split
second outage ( I think the magic number is 50 micro seconds) then it will
work with most ups unit on the market. But if not it will do strange things
depending on when in the power cycle the power drops out, namely reboot or
crash.

And just in case you are even remotely thinking of buying APC I will be glad
to share with you several of my very own horror stories including not one
but two times it almost burnt my house down (didn't learn the first time).

Doug