[Nut-upsuser] Mitsubishi 2033C via gamtronic (SEC)?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Mon Aug 6 20:13:06 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

I have a couple Mitsubishi 2033C UPSes that I badly want data from. We
used to have Mitsubishi Netcom devices which took the serial output and
provided a web interface, SNMP, and email alerts. All of those devices
died. They're really awful devices (they're clunky and have 386s in them)
and not worth the pricetag for a replacement.

The closest replacement I've seen so far is a device by Chipkin but it's
not very clear if they're actually selling it --
http://www.chipkin.com/products/cas-gateways/cas-2700-21-mitsubishi-ups-gateway/

After reading about the Chipkin I realized the UPS I'm working with speaks
the SEC protocol. This is supposed to be supported by the gamtronic
driver. My next thought is getting something like a
Soekris/Alix/RaspberryPi device nearby and reading the data with NUT. Has
anyone tried this before? It seems nobody even talks about these
Mitsubishi UPSes on the internet, so it's a little scary -- I've seen
UPSes (namely APC) decide to shutdown if you plug in the wrong serial
cable, so I'm worried about what could happen if something malformed comes
over the wire.

Thanks for any pointers you might have.