[Nut-upsuser] NUT MGE Pulsar Ellipse Premium 800: Changed NUT rw variables?

Tmima Pliroforikis Perifereiakis Enotitas Pierias pliroforiki at pieria.pkm.gov.gr
Tue Jun 26 06:01:41 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I've got an MGE Pulsar Ellipse Premium 800 powering a couple of FreeBSD
systems. Driver used is mge-shut, I don't know what the new mge-shut
driver offers, but I follow the "if it works, don't fix it" dogma here. :)

I also had a nut server installed on the master, with the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/nut script slightly modified to include a couple of
upsrw commands in order to power off ups and also to delay ups start-up:

gw[/root]# diff nut.mod nut.orig
34d33
< stop_precmd="nut_prestop"
41,50d39
< nut_prestop() {
<     if (test -f /etc/killpower) then
<         rm /etc/killpower
<       sleep 5
<       echo "Ordering UPS to delay-shutdown."
<       ${nut_prefix}/bin/upsrw -s ups.delay.shutdown=80 -u user -p pass
mailfw at localhost
<       ${nut_prefix}/bin/upsrw -s ups.delay.start=15 -u user -p pass
mailfw at localhost
<     fi
< }
<

This script worked just fine for a number of years. Yesterday, while
looking the syslogs after a power failure, I saw that during the
nut-initiated shutdown procedure (notice the "Ordering UPS to
delay-shutdown" message) errors were logged, most likely due to these
two commands:

Jun 24 19:28:37 mail upslog[858]: Signal 15: exiting
Jun 24 19:28:37 mail kernel: .
Jun 24 19:28:37 mail kernel: Stopping nut_upslog.
Jun 24 19:28:42 mail kernel: Ordering UPS to delay-shutdown.
Jun 24 19:28:42 mail kernel: Unexpected response from upsd: ERR
VAR-NOT-SUPPORTED
Jun 24 19:28:42 mail kernel: Unexpected response from upsd: ERR
VAR-NOT-SUPPORTED

So my question is, have these commands changed? From the output of upsrw
below, most likely ups.delay.shutdown and ups.delay.start have been
replaced by ups.timer.shutdown and ups.timer.start. Is that correct, are
these phrasal changes only?

For the record:

# upsc mailfw
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 30
battery.runtime: 456
device.mfr: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
device.model: ellipse premium 800
device.serial: unknown
device.type: ups
driver.name: mge-shut
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/cuau0
driver.version: 2.6.1
driver.version.internal: 0.69
outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low: 0
outlet.1.desc: PowerShare Outlet 1
outlet.1.id: 2
outlet.1.switch: 1
outlet.1.switchable: 1
outlet.desc: Main Outlet
outlet.id: 1
outlet.switchable: 0
output.voltage: 230
ups.load: 40
ups.mfr: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
ups.model: ellipse premium 800
ups.power.nominal: 800
ups.serial: unknown
ups.status: OL CHRG
ups.timer.shutdown: -1
ups.timer.start: -1

# upscmd -l mailfw
Instant commands supported on UPS [mailfw]:

load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.on - Turn on the load immediately
shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
test.battery.start - Start a battery test
test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test

]# upsrw mailfw
[outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low]
Remaining battery level to power off this outlet (percent)
Type: STRING
Value: 0

[outlet.1.desc]
Outlet description
Type: STRING
Value: PowerShare Outlet 1

[outlet.1.switch]
Outlet switch control
Type: STRING
Value: 1

[outlet.desc]
Outlet description
Type: STRING
Value: Main Outlet

[ups.timer.shutdown]
Time before the load will be shutdown (seconds)
Type: STRING
Value: -1

[ups.timer.start]
Time before the load will be started (seconds)
Type: STRING
Value: -1

BR,

M.-