[Nut-upsuser] NUT for iOS

Mathieu Simon mathieu.sim at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 09:17:33 UTC 2012

Am 12.03.2012 08:57, schrieb Peter Gosztonyi:
> Though I didn't get the sense that you are aware of a suitable solution,
> I'll reply out of politeness to your post since you made some efforts.
Partly true - out of your request I wasn't able to give a suitable
solution, yes but your
answer helped me to give a (hopefully) more proper one.
> <snip>
> I guess dependent on your background and intentions, you either prefer this or the other way.
Agreed
> <snip>
> I have an iOS server and that's for what I need to find a solution.
>
> <snip>
> I'm not talking about an iPad or iPhone here that are more or less dependent on the AppStore.
> Mac's are open and hence GPL apps aren't an issue.
Aha - I was doubting - in your original message you never mentioned OS X
but explicitely iOS.
Therein lies the problem: iOS != OS X - Agreed: both share a common
codebase :-)
> You don't have to write a "other-licensed" NUT client at all. <snip>
For iOS this applies today (and if Apple goes further in OS X 10.8 and
later with "Gatekeeper", maybe soon too)
> And last - as to why I would want to do all this? Consumer product or not doesn't matter.
> The device I want to protect is a Mac mini with iOS Lion Server.
> The server runs 24/7 and has a database. For this and also for hardware protection, I have bought an UPS.
You're definitely asking about using NUT on Mac OS X 10.7 which isn't
the same as iOS 5.x
There is no binary package nor GUI provided by the NUT project itself
AFAIK but:

I'd suggest instead of compiling on your own to use MacPorts. This gives
you access to a big
collection of open source software on your Macs. Please have a look on
their website about
Macports.org is, how you install and use it, their doc is quite fine I'd
say.

It's without GUI either but MacPorts does the job for your getting all
dependencies.
You can also centrally update all your ports too. (Need newer vi, perl
etc.? -> MacPorts FTW)

After MacPorts is installed properly, simply hit 'sudo port install nut'
edit the config file.  (Yes, RTFM will be needed, I'm sorry to tell)
So still no GUI to configure NUT but far easier than update/compe on
your own I'd say.

Also have a look at: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33433
This shows how you enable Launch Daemon to start NUT - this is Mac
specific and I don't know was much in this area, sorry.

But in case you have a desktop Mac and don't want to install MacPorts
and Xcode compilers on the server you
can create a binary package with all dependencies on your desktop Mac,
and transfer that to your server.

You'd need to have a look at
http://guide.macports.org/chunked/using.binaries.html, I'd expect: 'sudo
port mpkg nut'
The (m)pkg file can be opened on the target machine as any .pkg and will
ask you in the GUI to install NUT then.
The files will be installed to /opt/local as is normal Macports too.

Don't feel offended by editing a config file, I came from the Windows
world ...  first I shouted at this "old style",
now I even prefer editing a proper config file instead of clicking 50
times ;-)

Best regards
Mat