[Nut-upsuser] tcp-wrapper not found

Andrew Min Chang laplacezhang at 126.com
Mon Mar 19 03:40:44 UTC 2012

Hi, Charles!

Thank you very much for your patience!!

Maybe it better for me to describe my work detailly:

It is a cooperation study project. In our developing enviroment, we have:
1. A PC, with Redhat run in VMware, and VMware run in Windows XP. This is the one I mentioned as "A".
2. A Synology NAS machine, which is quite proprably using NUT to control UPS.
3. An ARM9 board, the target, with a Linux kernel ver 2.6.31.8, whose roofs is an NFS provided by the VMwared Redhat. This is the one I mentioned as "B".

What we want is to make my board to share UPS communication with the Synology machine and my PC, no matter whom the "host" of UPS is.
Because I want to make series of operation in a web server, currently I am not planning to use upsmon but to write a simply client by my own.
As suggested in User Manual, I read codes of upsc and wrote a client to get UPS information only.

My own simple client sucessfuly got UPS name and informaion when it is physically plugged into local. Therefore I stepped forward: getting UPS information from remote machine when not detectting UPS in local.And that went failed.

You said I have accomplished everything I need, but still, I could not connect to "A", who has the physical UPS.

Now in "A", configurations are:
/* nut.conf */
MODE = netserver

/* ups.conf */
[MY_UPS]
        driver = usbhid-ups
        port = auto
        desc = "Common-USB-UPS"

/* upsd.conf */
LISTEN 192.168.1.100     #IP of A

While in "B", configuration is:
/* upsd.conf */
LISTEN 192.168.1.100

In "A", upsd success:
# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.6.3
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.35 (2.6.3)
USB communication driver 0.31
Using subdriver: CyberPower HID 0.3
# upsd
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.6.3
listening on 192.168.1.100 port 3493
/var/state/ups is world readable
Connected to UPS [MY_UPS]: usbhid-ups-MY_UPS

But in "B", fail:
# upsd
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.6.3
not listening on 192.168.1.100 port 3493
no listening interface available

I could figured out where went wrong. I looked into network, the communication between "A" and "B" is OK (maybe a littled delayed, but thay can communicate). I tried ethereal, but I did not find anything useful.
The ethereal log file is attached, I think most of them may be NFS conmmunication.

Where goes wrong?

Besides, about the tcp-wrappers, here is my thinking:
There is an option of our Synology machine: "IPs that allowed to connected to this UPS"
We are very curious about that and desided to achieve the same functionality in the board. And that is the reason we were using tcp-wrappers.

--
andrew chang
2012-03-19