[Nut-upsuser] tcp-wrapper not found

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 02:55:34 UTC 2012

On Mar 18, 2012, at 11:40 PM, Andrew Min Chang wrote:

> But in "B", fail:
> # upsd
> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.6.3
> not listening on 192.168.1.100 port 3493
> no listening interface available

If the UPS is not physically connected to B, you shouldn't run upsd on B. The upsd daemon essentially connects drivers to the network, but only on the server side. From the client side (upsc, upsmon, etc.) you use the client, not another instance of upsd.

From B, can you run "upsc MY_UPS at 192.168.1.100"?

> Besides, about the tcp-wrappers, here is my thinking:
> There is an option of our Synology machine: "IPs that allowed to connected to this UPS"
> We are very curious about that and desided to achieve the same functionality in the board. And that is the reason we were using tcp-wrappers.

I am almost certain that the board has some basic firewall capabilities that will do just that.

There are many guides to iptables, e.g.:

http://www.slackbook.org/html/security-host.html

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail