[Nut-upsuser] Support for APC Smart-UPS X 3000

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Sep 18 02:52:19 UTC 2013

On 18/09/2013, at 7:18, Douglas Parsons <doug at parsonsemail.com> wrote:
> Just my experiences speaking, look at another brand. I use MGE/Eaton and have had much better life and the quality has been much better. APC does not release the protocol for comunicating with the UPS and so to get NUT to work you have to sniff the traffic and then figure out what the commands and responses mean.(thus reverse engineered) APC also will change the protocol between models. (Thus why that model is not listed, it may work, it may not)
>
> I have had four APC brand UPS units melt the batteries. We bought 13 identical units in one order. One blew up on power up. One had loose connections giving a false ground issue. Four did not have all the holes tapped out for mounting. And 6 were rusty. Those were the last APC units we bought.
>
> Eaton Evolution line is the old MGE brand and we have had great service from them as well as working with NUT.

This also covers my experience with APC and MGE at work.

Further, newer APC units have a different serial protocol which is also secret and thus far has not been reverse engineered. APC will sell you a comms card which speaks the old protocol though (for a ridiculous sum).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum